Thursday, August 9, 2012

5 Steps to be Content



As women it is easy to look around and compare ourselves with others. We may think, “well if only I had a husband like hers, I could be the Proverbs 31 woman,” or “if only I had kids like hers I could be a better mom,” or “if only my house was bigger, cleaner, better, or fill in the blank _______.”

I want to encourage you to stop the “if onlys”. Stop comparing yourself to others, and compare yourself to God’s Word.

Philippians 4:11 says, “..for I have learned in whatsoever state I am therewith to be content.”

Let’s look at what the Bible tells us about comparing ourselves to others.

"For we dare not make ourselves of the number,
or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves:
but they measuring themselves by themselves,
and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise."
II Corinthians 10:12

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live;
yet not I, but Christ liveth in me:
and the life which I now live in the flesh
I live by the faith of the Son of God,
who loved me, and gave himself for me."
Galatians 2:20, 6:4


5 Steps to be Content...
  • You need to be content with who God has created you to be.
  • You need to be content with the husband God has given you.
  • You nee to be content with the children God has given you.
  • You need to be content with the house and things God has given you.
  • You need to be content with Who God is. He IS all you need.
As Christians we have an identity in Christ…we are new creatures in Him.


“Don’t compare yourself to others
and don’t allow feelings of insecurity to rob you of your identity in Christ.
He loves you and created you for a purpose.”
Author Unknown

To read more about your identity in Christ, read these passages...
  • Colossians
  • Psalm 139
  • I Peter 2:9
  • Galatians 4:6-7
  • Jeremiahs 29:11
  • Ephesians 2:10
  • John 1:12-13
Work on your vertical relationship (your relationship with God) and the horizontal relationships (your relationships with your husband, children, family and friends) will be where they need to be.

Comparing yourself to others will only cause you to become discouraged and then you will believe the lies of the devil that you are not worthy of God's love, and that, my dear friend, is Satan's biggest lie!

"Wherever you are be all there."  -Jim Elliott



How have you learned to be content with where God has placed you?


Written by Jen, I also blog at  Be Thou Exalted and Baptist Missionaory Women.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a hard thing for me. I easily get caught up in the "if only" or think that things could always be bigger, or smaller, or better, or easier. Thanks for the reminder to look to God for contentment...every day!

    ReplyDelete