Thursday, July 17, 2014

Jehovah Jireh

14 Abraham named that place God-Yireh (God-Sees-to-It). That’s where we get the saying, “On the mountain of God, he sees to it.” Gen 22:14 Msg


For years, I have heard "Jehovah Jireh, my provider," yet sometime ago I've also heard, "Jehovah Jireh - the one who has seen ahead and already provided." I've come to realize that the latter is, in fact, true. We can sometimes lose sight of this truth - He is my provider. Not the supporters, not our employer, but God. 

"He realized that God alone was able, and in that realization the puny supplies of man dwarfed beside the reservoirs of God's grace which he tapped by faith. He learned not to bind God by the limits of his own faith. He asked, knowing that God, Who heard, was able."
George Muller / Man of Faith and Miracles

We were just given a ton of furniture and furnishings by a friend of ours going through a divorce and since we live in a community of missionaries we thought this would be a good opportunity to bless some people. After three truck loads of furniture to our small apartment and one load to the recycling center, we were finally finished. We were literally swimming in furniture. I'm happy to say that many families have been blessed by the furniture and we still have more to give. 

But there is one family that comes to mind when thinking about Jehovah Jireh ... 

My daughter traded her twin bed for a double that was recently given. We found a home for the twin bed and in washing clothes the day after I realized that I had several twin fitted sheets and a duvet cover but no longer owned a twin bed. So, I contacted the lady, Esther, who was the lucky recipient of the twin bed. She picked them up last night and as I was loading the 4 fitted sheet, 2 top sheets, a duvet cover and 2 pillow cases in a shopping bag, she said, "I know I need these things since we have a twin bed now, but I haven't even gotten around to praying about it." and it stopped me right in my packing. I looked over at her and smiled and said, "Yeah, God is good that way." 

do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Phil 4:6 ESV

Sometimes it seems that even before we can utter that prayer, God has already provided. When we were moving from the US to Germany 1.5 years ago we sold or gave most of our belongings. On our last day of packing I couldn't find space for my Kitchen Aid stand up mixer and I frantically looked at every box and in the end, decided to give up. I picked up the mixer and handed it to a pastor who was helping us with moving and said, "be blessed." I have missed that mixer like nobody's business and every time I think of it I pray for the pastor and his family. 

Well .... *drum roll please* 

A friend of ours in Switzerland called and said he wanted to give me something. After giving all the furniture and other stuff I couldn't possibly think of what could be left. 

Yes, you guessed it! A KITCHEN AID STAND UP MIXER! But not just any old Kitchen Aid mixer. This baby has every attachment known to man! 

I was overwhelmed and giddy when I set that mixer on my counter. I've often wondered if I would ever have another one, but God, who knows the end from the beginning, knew all along. Whether we are waiting in prayer or those things are here before we pray, He is Jehovah Jireh. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love this... maybe especially because I just got my first Kitchen Aid stand up mixer this week... brought down to Costa Rica in our luggage! Just used it to make cookies, and I can already see why you'd be missing yours for the past couple of years. Happy for you!

    ReplyDelete