Saturday, November 17, 2012

Calm My Anxious Heart, chapter 9

I'm still blogging about Calm My Anxious Heart. Here is what I've written so far: chapter 1chapter 2chapter 3chapter 4chapter 5chapter 6chapter 7 and chapter 8.


Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Hebrews 11:1
Remember last time I wrote, I shared that we had to move? It's been rough. We're moved, and of course, God is good and faithful, but it's been one of those messy moves where nothing seems to go right at all. Plus, the apartment we're in now is just not what I would have chosen. I've been struggling emotionally every day. Studying through this chapter right now has been such a wonderful reassurance for me. I won't say that my faith has been shaken by the circumstances I'm in, but I have been very upset, and I need this reminder.

After writing about contentment and barriers to it, Linda Dillow now moves on to "Faith: The Foundation." She says:
Faith raises us above our circumstances. Faith enables us to be content even when life doesn't make sense. Faith is the bulwark that keeps us strong even when we're assailed by agonizing thoughts about what might happen or by what has happened (page 134).
God wants us to have real faith, faith that we own. Linda Dillow mentions Amy Carmichael, which speaks right to my heart. (I usually turn to Amy's books in hard times, and this is not an exception. I just finished Things As They Are.)
Amy Carmichael, missionary to India's children, said her ability to trust God began with her confidence in God's character. Here is what she believed:
  • God is, first and always, a loving Father.
  • God is in control, and everything He allowed into her life was ultimately for her good.
  • Like a little child, she "tucked" herself into God by trusting Him--and He was able to carry her through all things (page 137).
And that is the first part of our faith foundation: God's character. We can trust Him, because we know Him! Also, our faith must be based on His Word, not what we feel. Talking about faith and feelings like a train must be a common illustration, because I remember hearing it in Bible school years ago. Our faith in the facts of God's Word has to come first, pulling the caboose of our feelings behind it. "Regardless of what I can see or how I feel, by faith I choose to put the coal into the engine and not the caboose" (pages 140-141).

Really, once again this whole chapter is so good that I'd just like to quote it all!

What are you learning about faith these days? Anything you want to share? What is showing you God's love most of all right now?

3 comments:

  1. It's difficult living in uncertain times. We're on our visa extension now, we almost had everything to turn in for our temporary residence, but there was an additional document needed since we arrived, proof of income. There were a few times I worried, but I had to keep turning everything over to God.
    If He wants us here, He'll work everything out so we can stay. If not, then He has other plans for us. I had to keep reminding myself of that.
    I'm thinking of you, Phyllis, as I really dislike moving! Will keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you as you adjust to your move. I can imagine how you feel. I love the idea of "tucking ourselves" into God. I'm learning about faith to lay my life down and serve. I seem to be much busier with home school than in years past, and ministry and life seem to go at warp speed. But somehow God is giving me grace and joy for most days...

    What is showing me God's love most of all is Romans 5:5 "God has poured out his love into our hearts through the Holy Spirit He has given us." (paraphrase!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're heading into a big transition for our family that is requiring a lot of faith, and I just love that God is the Author and Perfecter of our faith, and that "faith enables us to be content even when life doesn't make sense." God is showering His love as we take steps of faith through practical provision and that is so encouraging. What a privilege to walk by faith, even thought it isn't easy.
    Serving in Kenya

    ReplyDelete