Saturday, September 29, 2012

Calm My Anxious Heart, chapter 7

We're more than halfway through Calm My Anxious Heart! Here are the earlier chapters: chapter 1chapter 2chapter 3chapter 4chapter 5, and chapter 6.

Live life, then, with a due sense of responsibility, not as men who do not know the meaning and purpose of life but as those who do. Make the best use of your time, despite all the difficulties of these days. Don’t be vague but firmly grasp what you know to be the will of God.
Ephesians 5:15-17 (Phillips)
Here's another difficult topic for me: a life purpose statement. Naturally, I am the type who plans and thinks about everything, but life's twists and turns (and my wonderful husband) have changed me into a much more go-with-the-flow kind of person. (And that flexibility is good.) But I don't want to give up being intentional, just because I need to be flexible.

Linda Dillow identifies lack of purpose as one of the main barriers to peace and contentment. Sadly, I can't find my notes from either time when I went through this book and study before, so I feel like I need to start over. Did I even write out a purpose statement then? I can't remember. She gives examples of life purpose statements from historical figures and four of her own friends. I love the creativity and diversity those show!
Phyllis [different Phyllis, obviously not me :-)] chose to live her life purposefully, faithfully, creatively, and paradoxically. Jean visualized her life as a tree that she asked God to continually prune. Ney chose two verses and a prayer that started her life purpose. Mimi identified who she wanted to be when she was an eighty-year-old woman, and then she identified specific steps to reach her goal (page 110).
I don't really have anything that I can share about my own purpose in life. I want to, but I'm not ready right now. There is a prayer by Betty Stam, quoted here, that I came across in my formative years; if I were to use someone else's words for my own purpose, these would be good ones:
Lord, I give up all my own plans and purposes, all my own desires and hopes, and accept Thy will for my life. I give myself, my life, my all utterly to Thee to be Thine forever. Fill me and seal me with Thy Holy Spirit. Use me as Thou wilt, send me where thou wilt, work out Thy whole will in my life at any cost, now and forever (pages 103-104).
I'll close with one more quote:
My friend, will you pray, then take pen and paper and ask God to show you your life purpose statement? ...Start with one statement or a Bible verse that describes what you believe about God and His plan for you.... If you can't think of a verse or sentence, borrow an idea.... Remember what you write will be a beginning (pages 110-111).

I really hope to get feedback on this post! Do you have a life purpose statement? Would you be willing to share it with us? How did you come to choose it?

5 comments:

  1. Mrs. Stam's beautiful prayer would also be mine.

    But, no specific life statement here. I don't want to guess at what I am supposed to be doing other than what is in front of me. Sure I have things I'd like to do, but whether they are what God wants or not, I'm not so sure. An over all and long term hope is to bring God glory. IF I can do that, that would be wonderful.

    Joy in Nepal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. That could be my life purpose statement: Do the next thing. :-) And, also from Elisabeth Elliot: Keep a quiet heart.

      Delete
    2. I found that in her books, too, and it was such a help when my children were so small. And, Keep A Quiet Heart is also on my shelf...as well as several other E.E. books. She's someone I learn from well.

      Joy in Nepal

      Delete
  2. So fun to meet you thru Ann's link today. I do have a purpose statement.... simple and sweet... to be filled with Christ to overflowing and leave puddles of joy in my wake. Wish it were as easy to live it as to scribble it in my journal :) Love the book you're working through. It's been years since I've read it, but I have many quotes that still linger in my head. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a life purpose statement. I've been journaling my spiritual walk over the past year, and my life purpose flowed out it. The purpose statement is still in process, as am I!

    Based on Prov 3:5,6

    "Trust in the Lord with all my heart,and lean not on my own understanding"

    -Be a woman who fears the Lord - realizing He is in control, trust Him instead of worrying and being anxious

    -Having a servant's heart - seeking His glory, focusing on His kingdom

    "In all my ways acknowledge Him"

    -Diligent and faithful to the tasks God has given me - ordering my day for Him, not striving for perfection or the praise of men

    "And He shall direct my paths"

    Growing godly and graceful aging (note - I'm one year away from turning 50!)

    -Quieting my heart,evaluating my thoughts based on Philippians 4:8, meditating on His word

    Blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete