Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Tuesdays Together: Home

(I'm having rather severe technical difficulties here, but I think I can get this published.)



Again, it's time to get together and enjoy some quiet conversation. So, settle in and take your time. I've had the topic on "home" on my mind lately. Actually, it's often (always?) there. To be very honest, even though I wanted to live this life from the time I was little, and even though I love it, I never really knew how challenging some aspects of "home" would be for me.

But first, for your viewing pleasure, here are pictures of three homes around the world.
Ashley's in Russia:
The first view is actually out their kitchen window,
but their building looks like the one on the right.
Sarah's in Costa Rica:

They'll have to move soon; let's pray that their next house
will be just as much of a beloved home as this one has been.
Here is where I live:

Half a house in Ukraine (It's like a taste of heaven!)
Then, here's some more to read and look at:

These verses have been a great encouragement to me when I have struggled with various homes:
"Lord, You have been our dwelling place in all generations."
Psalm 90
and
“Compared to what’s coming, living conditions around here seem like a stopover in an unfurnished shack, and we’re tired of it!”
[...but...]
“Cramped conditions here don’t get us down. They only remind us of the spacious living conditions ahead. It’s what we trust in but don’t yet see that keeps us going.”
(from 2 Corinthians 5 in The Message)

And now your part:
What do you consider your (earthly) home? What makes a house/apartment feel like home to you? How many times have you moved in your ministry life? Do you have photos or a blog post that you can link to, showing us where you live? What else can you add to this theme of "home"?

3 comments:

  1. "Home" can be a loaded word for those of us living overseas. "Back home" or "here" can both be home. We have lived in two houses in five years in El Salvador and our current house really feels like "home." I think no matter where you are the people, the memories, the milestones, and the life lived in a house is what makes it a home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new in Thailand, and already moved twice (all in the same area). For me honestly the new apartment didn't start to feel like home until I had:
    1. Gotten the giant hole in my bathroom ceiling fixed by the nice Thai apartment worker.
    2. Gotten towels and soap everywhere.
    3. Mopped and eliminated all cobwebs (did I just not notice them as much in the States?).
    4. Killed off the majority of cockroaches with my super amazing spray from the states.
    5. Gotten air freshener everywhere.
    6. My books were everywhere.

    Then it started to feel if not like home...at least okay. I think home will always feel like home if people you love are there (which is why I'm jealous of you moms and wives!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is an old blog post that I did for our friends and family to "tour" our home. The only thing that has changed much is that we now have 4 kids in the kids' room, rather than 2! =) http://thelatvalasinrussia.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/welcome-to-our-home/

    For me, time is a big thing that helps a place feel like home. That can be hard with our highly mobile life, but the more that we settle, the more that we become used to the quirks of our apartment, and like Danielle said, the more that we make memories in our home, the more homey it feels. We've been blessed to live in the same apartment for the past 5+ years. It isn't a perfect apartment, and we've had opportunities to move, but a main motivator for us in staying is feeling at home where we are. I also feel much more at home the more that I know my neighbors. Another thing that has happened for me is that I now feel more at home in Russia in general because I know how to live life here (particularly as a mom) more than I do in the US. I find myself out of my element in circles of friend with kids when we're back in the US because I don't know all of the current parenting trends or interests, and we are used to living life very differently. I wouldn't say that we parent like the average Russian family, but the way that we do life is definitely not American anymore.

    And Erin, I gather that you are a single woman? Praise God for you and your sacrifices to be on the mission field in Thailand! I have many single friends who have shared about the struggles unique to being a single woman on the mission field and I so admire and respect them, and you, for your dedication to the Lord!

    ReplyDelete