Tuesday, September 29, 2015

So thankful

Lately I've just been thinking about how thankful I am for the education opportunities our family has. We have chosen to homeschool for general education. In a country where homeschooling is unheard of, I get to talk to people about it a lot. And every time I come back to the fact that I'm so thankful that we can do this! It's hard--many days homeschooling takes all that I have to give--but it's such a privilege.

Then, beyond that, our children have opportunities that they would probably never have if they lived in the USA. I know that we wouldn't be able to afford the kind of music education that they are getting at the local public music school. Our oldest is in his sixth year of playing piano, studying serious music theory, music history and literature, and singing in choir. Our second is learning to play balalaika, along with some piano, and all the theory and history and literature that her older brother gets.

And there's still more! There's a private art school that rents space at our church. Three of our children take lessons there. They love every minute of it, and, again, they're getting a very serious art education. It's more than I could give them at home, even if I had the time and skills needed, not to mention all the supplies and materials. Plus, the people who work there and the other kids provide a great community for us to be a part of.

Even for me, there are huge education blessings. This summer I got to go speak at and attend a homeschool event in America. That was beyond anything I would have dreamed of before. Also, this very week, I'm attending a ministry school on the other side of the country from where we live. (I wrote and scheduled this post in advance.) My own education continues every day, too.

Of course, there are difficulties in providing and choosing education. I'm not making light of that. But today I'm celebrating the wonders of what my own family gets to experience.

What are you most thankful for in your family's education?

3 comments:

  1. This was great to read! I love how valued the arts are in your part of the world. =)

    I'm thankful for my kids' opportunity to have a completely bilingual education -- that they are gaining fluency in Spanish, and that they're learning how to read in two languages simultaneously. I'm also thankful for inexpensive art and ballet lessons...

    Thanks for the reminding to focus on our blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As our gang has transitioned back into a french language school, I've been so thankful for my adaptable tcks and their willingness to give any new adventure a try... and also for the amazing staff who've been so supportive and encouraging to our kids. What could have easily been a traumatic disaster has turned into a beautiful blessing and our kids are, for the most part, thriving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. There are many things that I am thankful for in regards to opportunities for my children- mostly that they are making friends and they are learning about life from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete